Thursday, 7 May 2009

Carriacou

Union Island with Pete and Dick and little girl who attached herself to us!
And another one with more people attached!!

View of Carriacou from "taxi" in Union Island..... it was nice...air conditioned too!


Blowing a conch shell....Union Island. Normally used to announce fresh fish for sale but think he was doing it just for effect...it's quite loud...like a boat's fog horn.



The only interesting geology I've seen so far apart from the bubbling sulphurous mud of the Soufriere volcano, St Lucia. These are basalt columns like a small giant's (?) causeway on Frigate Island (attached to Union Island).




Well I never! We arrived in Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou, Grenada after clearing customs etc yesterday and after a pleasant motorsail from Petit Martinique...more about that later..... Have just discovered that not only do I get free internet here anchored in the middle of the bay but that my laptop keyboard has decided to mysteriously mend itself completely. All I need now is to be able to Skype and I'll have total free contact for a change! Think I'd like to stay a few days just to catch up with everyone and still be able to afford a couple of rum punches too!










So, after leaving Union Island, we headed south for the next island, Petit Martinique. This island is part of Grenada and we should really have checked in at Customs in Carriacou first so we were technically illegal immigrants for a day. Fortunately, the authorities turn a blind eye to yachties who do this. Otherwise, no one would visit Petit Martinique probably!!





It turned out to be my favourite place so far so I was sad to have to leave after 24hours there as regulations required us to do. There were no tourists, the people were all really friendlyand the little supermarkets stocked just about everything we needed at the best prices so far in the Caribbean (including Chilean merlot!!!!!!). The island is also a perfect "shape" in my opinion.... a gentle slope one end rising to about 700' then dropping more steeply on the other side; just as a child would draw it complete with palm trees too! Silly I know but so nice compared to the outline of so many of the other islands here which look like a pile of slag heaps from a distance.

No comments: