Thursday, 25 November 2010

Singapore, a delightful, clean and safe city.

This is the backdrop to the marina at Keppel Bay where the rally boats are currently berthed. The buildings really are leaning in and the architect is the same one who designed the one in NY to replace the twin towers. They are currently 40 storeys high and going on up.







A model of the marina. Our pontoons are so new that they aren't on this model but are just about in the middle of the photo. The electricity meters on the pontoons were at zero. Real virgin berths!!





Sorry about the blurring. This was just about 6 yards across the equator. An important moment to record I feel. I also have one of the Dateline crossing. Oh dear! This should have been in the last set of photos but it got missed.





I had to include this. We had a meal at one of the malls nearby. This was my duck with chicken broth looking just as it did in the illustration and costing just £2.40. Tasted good too. Food is mostly incredibly cheap here though not at Raffles of course where a gin sling cost £12.50 and a curry £75. I had the drink but not the curry! Photos of that evening in the next post I hope.



And last but not least, this was my one indulgence at the Night safari zoo (open from 7.30pm til midnight every day) and where you travel around a circuit in trams to see many creatures of the night that are mostly sleeping during the day. A very good evening all round culminating in this...me putting my feet into the water and having them nibbled by hundreds of tiny fish. It feels exactly as you would imagine and they really do "clean" up your feet a treat. Should be on the NHS!

Singapore is a lovely city...this from a cityphobe. It's very clean, safe and cheap. Public transport is available everywhere at all times, buses taxis and underground and great prices. If it wasn't so flaming hot and humid most of the time, I could live here.... Might have to learn Cantonese though. I can't understand some of the "Engrish" at all!
We're leaving for Malaysia on Saturday along with a few other boats and we're looking forward to some pleasant daysails with overnight anchoring. Night sails aren't recommended anyway as the coast is overwhelmed with fishing boats. Too many yachts have tangled with fishing nets already and we've had some near misses too... We certainly don't want to add that to our list of mishaps! Next post from Malaysia then...........


2 comments:

Unknown said...

We know exactly where you are Sarah. My parents treated James and I to a cruise (slightly larger vessel than yours!). We were berthed a little further down right alongside Ocean Terminal.

Would agree with your comments on Singapore. We are waiting for James (24 tomorrow) to get a job out there!

Have fun - keep sailing! x

Unknown said...

And there was me, thinking you were in Hong Kong (Ocean Terminal) at the same time as Singapore - doh!