Saturday, 28 November 2009

Finally, it's Greetings from Grenada!

We have finally left Trinidad after nearly 6 months of heat and humidity albeit with 5 weeks back home in July/August and 5 weeks of adventure and misfortune in Tobago and Guyana in Sept/Oct!
Moonshiner is now briefly at anchor in Prickly Bay, Grenada after a lumpy 13hour and sleepless overnight trip from Chaguaramas. Everything onboard now works………
We plan to leave early on Monday for the 30 hour sail to Blanquilla. (Look it up on Google Earth?) It’s supposed to be a lovely place but we won’t be staying there long unfortunately as we would like to be in Colombia by Christmas and that is quite a long way away
After Blanquilla come the Islas Los Rocas which is a Venezuelan national park. If we‘re lucky, we can stay there without paying (almost $100 for this boat if the Park Rangers spot us!) and then sail on to the ABC islands, Bonaire being the closest.
In Aruba, I intend to sample once again the legendary cocktail “Ariba Aruba” which I last tasted in 1976 as a cadet aboard the good ship “Esso Scotia”….my vague memories tell me that it was rather potent, that I managed to down three of them while on a run ashore and that I missed my cargo watch as a result but didn’t get into trouble because I had been in the company of the ship’s captain and the harbourmaster!! This time, I shall be more mindful of what I’m doing because I should like to see some of the island this time, slightly more clearly….. My memories of Curacao are still less clear as I didn’t even get beyond the dock gates of the oil terminal there, choosing instead to stop at the Seamen’s Mission where the beer was plentiful and cheap. Well, I was young and foolish then and the world was my oyster, as they say. This time, I may actually manage to take photos………

No comments: