We ( Angel's David and Val, Fai Tira's John and me went on a 24 hour safari into the desert, also known as the "Empty Quarter", the largest area of sand dunes in the world at 650,000 sq km. We were to drive with an experienced guide, Suhail, in his wonderfully airconditioned 4x4 across the coastal plain of Oman, up into the Dhofari mountains, across the plateau which turns green with the rains after July, through the increasingly dry, rocky and dusty desert landscape and on into the sandy desert proper with nothing but dunes, dunes and more dunes as far as the eye can see. Fantastic! On the way, we stopped for lunch and had a huge meal at a roadside cafe for a whole rial (that's£1.60 to you), then stopped again to look at frankincense trees growing wild. I could put a photo in, but in the end, it's just a tree with some greenery at the top and you need to be there to experience it. Suhail cut into the bark to start it bleeding and showed us other cuts from earlier expeditions where the sap had oozed sufficiently over three weeks to enable "harvesting". It was incredibly sticky...sand is good for cleaning hands I found,.... and also strangely edible...we tried some...the frankincense I mean!
We stopped again just before the desert proper to have a look around the ruins of a lost city over 4000 years old. "Shisur" is just one of its names I believe. It used to be a very important watering hole on the frankincense route from Dhofar to the north. A huge sink hole there is now dry however because they are trying to grow grass for the camels and have sunk 40m wells all over the place to provide enough water. It does look a little odd to see huge areas of dusty brown dotted all over with squares of bright green. I hope the plan works. There is nothing else much around for the camels and there are thousands of them to feed. The camels out here are almost black by the way, a separate breed I read somewhere.
Suhail prepared a typical Arab meal for us of camel stew with rice, salad, cheese and bananas for later. One or two of us had brought a beer or two that had stayed just cool enough to drink and Suhail also gave us hot ginger tea which was quite nice (for a lifetime non tea drinker). Suhail, a muslim obviously, didn't mind thank goodness. He went off to pray at sunset.....at least we then knew in which direction Mecca lay! He must be one of very few people in the world who is able to navigate safely through this amazing terrain. There are tyre tracks all over the place but most of them were from previous treks like ours guided by Suhail. He said that the tracks can last for some time but usually get covered over by sand as the wind blows (hot by day and cool at night) and small dunes appear which eventually obscure all signs. It rains approximately every five years and then the small plants which are dotted around everywhere spring to life. The effects of the rain last a long time however and a lot of the plants were a lovely yellowy green. The dead" plants are still alive too, the roots just waiting for a rainy day.
We settled down for the night, having chosen sleeping spots all around the campsite. Suhail had provided mattresses, sleeping bags and pillows. The sand was surprisingly hard to sleep on though and I didn't get a lot of rest! The temperature dropped a fair amount as the night wore on and I put on another layer. When my feet got cold, I pushed them into the sand which had retained a lot of daytime heat. Very cosy! There was a full moon so the night started of quite brightly lit, not good for star gazing but later on, after it had set, the stars came out very nicely and scorpio dominated the sky. For a lot of people, this might be their best night of star gazing but for us yachties, it was quite normal. What was unusual for us, however, was the silence.....absolute stillness..... apart from our breathing, OK and just a little snoring too.......
As we picked our way through new dunes, cleverly avoiding the soft sand that bogs the vehicles down, Suhail spotted a Bedouin camp in the distance...so we drove up, stopped, got out and were introduced to real nomads ( except for the 4x4). We sat outside their tent and drank hot sweet tea .... Val and I had to cover up a little and sit on the outer edge of the group...that was fine by us! They chatted away in arabic and passed us pieces of some weird local sweet...an acquired taste I think. We said goodbye and drove off to where their camels were kept. I tried some fresh camel's milk. Hmm!
A few hours of driving later and we were back at the port. On the way, I continued trying to speak just a few words of arabic with Suhail's help. Not very successful! I had thought that I had done well by being able to read the "Stop" sign, the word I believed being pronounced "khif". Suhail had us in stitches over this one. The correct pronunciation goes a bit like this....gather up all the "stuff" in the back of your throat and start as if you mean to cough it all up, really fiercely, but don't. Instead, sort of bark out the sound "kh" and then add "rruffff" as loudly as you can. Very very difficult. I'm still practising just that one word. I have a long way to go.
This has been a long piece but then , it was a very full 24 hours we spent out there so no apologies. I loved it.
No comments:
Post a Comment