Friday, 8 April 2011

We had another lovely day out with Jersey Jane and husband Andy. This is the famous baobab tree of which there are very few in Oman. Finding it was a bit of a trek up the dusty valley but it was very pleasant in the shade and we collected seed pods on the way back...in the vain hope that someone might be able to grow one?



Camels are just so photogenic, I can't stop taking photos of them and some are such posers like this one. One of the expats told me that the locals have camel "beauty contests" in which they dress them up and apply make up....though he may have just been pulling my leg!

We have been told that it won't be possible to see the local horses at the stud because of the increased state of alert around here.....Yemen is less then 100 miles away....so I shall have to be content with beautiful camels instead!!!!




Jane and Andy also drove us through the Dhofar mountains to the SW of here and down the dirt track onto the beach. A slightly exhilarating drive and not one to do when it's wet or dark. The beach at the bottom was lovely, very soft carbonate sands. Other Rally crews have been here and caught lots of rock lobster which they BBQed. Found out later that such fishing is illegal here apart from Dec and Jan. Oops! We don't want to upset the authorities who are being quite kind to us!


OK. So this is what happens when you fly home and abandon your boat for a month. The Italian Halberg Rassy next to us has squatters. A real "crow's nest" no less. I wonder how they will get rid of it? I don't think there are any eggs. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: