We (10 of us that is) decided to go on one of the all day guided tours of the island and it turned out to be one of the best days so far. It was an early start at 8.30am as we had a 2 hour air conditioned bus trip to the mountains and rainforest in the north of the island to visit an old plantation (cocoa and citrus) which is now a national park.
The scenery, bird, animal and plant life were all spectacular so a couple of photos just HAVE to be included though I know National Geographic could do much better! We had a guided walk through the rainforest bird and plant spotting ( and ant avoiding!) followed by a buffet lunch at the old plantation house where we could sit and enjoy the incredible views and see gorgeous hummingbirds etc up really close on the verandah. Most of my photos were rubbish but I am relying on the others with their more expensive cameras to provide me with decent copies sometime soon!
We then had another long bus trip back towards the capital, Port of Spain, and to the mangrove swamp for a 2 hour boat trip in the early evening to watch the scarlet ibis flying to their roosts. My camera battery had died by this time so I have no photos at all….relying on the others again……I hope there are some good close ups of these birds. They are just so incredibly SCARLET. Fantastic against the blue sky or dark green mangrove trees. There were lots of other lovely birds to see, herons, egrets etc and I spotted a tiny kingfisher (red, black and white) which our guide got quite excited about. He is an avid birdwatcher and instantly knew what each species was.
The scenery, bird, animal and plant life were all spectacular so a couple of photos just HAVE to be included though I know National Geographic could do much better! We had a guided walk through the rainforest bird and plant spotting ( and ant avoiding!) followed by a buffet lunch at the old plantation house where we could sit and enjoy the incredible views and see gorgeous hummingbirds etc up really close on the verandah. Most of my photos were rubbish but I am relying on the others with their more expensive cameras to provide me with decent copies sometime soon!
We then had another long bus trip back towards the capital, Port of Spain, and to the mangrove swamp for a 2 hour boat trip in the early evening to watch the scarlet ibis flying to their roosts. My camera battery had died by this time so I have no photos at all….relying on the others again……I hope there are some good close ups of these birds. They are just so incredibly SCARLET. Fantastic against the blue sky or dark green mangrove trees. There were lots of other lovely birds to see, herons, egrets etc and I spotted a tiny kingfisher (red, black and white) which our guide got quite excited about. He is an avid birdwatcher and instantly knew what each species was.
Our tourguide/busdriver (Jesse James!!) did a running commentary on the history of Trinidad, past and current, as we bounced along in the charabanc and he certainly knew his stuff too!
So all in all, an excellent day out and highly recommended to anyone and everyone who comes out here. Hoping to do another tour soon...this time, turtle watching!!
The boat comes out of the water in just under 2 weeks now and I am flying back to Guernsey on 9/10July. I'm looking forward to having as many "proper" showers as I like while the we're in the yard....We have been on water rationing since February in St Lucia....average total daily use on the boat for everything....4 gallons!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment