Monday, 17 May 2010

Just a few photos of Nuku Hiva, Marquesas.. I hope!

The wifi link here in Papeete, Tahiti is so incredibly slow....and expensive! Papeete is pronounced "papa etay" in case you wondered or thereabouts. It's quite nice being in a marina again for a while with unlimited water and electricity. I just wish the wifi was better because it really hurts having to pay nearly £3 an hour and then wasting it all waiting to get into hotmail or something similar.....then when you finally get through, your credit runs out! I am waiting to upload some photos for this blog but it just never happens and we go offline every single time as it has just done again.

Never mind...you'll get them sometime...maybe from Moorea where we are heading next in a day or two when the engine thing is fixed......I'm not sure if this engineer knows quite what he is doing......he's very nice but keeps dropping things in the bilges!!

Most of the other Bluewater boats left for Moorea a couple of days ago. It's quite close, just 5 hours sailing away and looks lovely from here. This place is nice though, if a little busy, lots of traffic but lots of good shopping too. I found ear candles. Hurrah!! I also bought some "cheap".... but still real...... black pearls from a market stall. The ones on sale in the jewellers shops are way too expensive for the likes of me. I simply wanted a small variety of shapes and colours which I found. The "perfect" (and incredibly expensive) ones look like ball bearings so I was told!

Just after the other boats left, our part of the marina was taken over by five strange craft which turned out to have come from other parts of Polynesia...New Zealand, Vanuatu, Samoa, Cook Islands and Fiji so we learnt. If I can get this wifi to work properly, I shall post a photo or two. Otherwise, you must wait a while!! These boats, about 70' long are only a year old but built in the traditional style with twin hulls, raised sterns and have no electricity or running water. They are crewed by 16 volunteers and hand steered across the ocean using the enormous tiller/oar which looks really dangerous to me! The crews come from all over Polynesia I believe and the purpose of the year long voyage is to maintain contacts between the Polynesian Islands as well as being eco friendly etc. They all look as if they are having a lovely time too.

This wifi link is so bad that I'm having trouble even getting this typed so photos will definitely have to wait until next time now....Sorry.

No comments: